Friday, March 28, 2008

Montserrat, Montserrat, everywhere I look...

From 2000 to 2004, I taught illustration and painting classes at the Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, MA. It was an incredible experience. In those four years, I had the pleasure and honor to teach and mentor many talented young artists. And in the past few weeks, some of those fine illustrators have been popping up all around me.

It started when I logged on to the 7 Impossible Things Before Breakfast blog and saw the beautiful work of Tiffany Laurencio featured. It was great to see her work being gushed over by Jules & Eisha. It's only a matter of time before bloggers everywhere will be able to do the same over one of her books.

Then, just the other day, I was in Cambridge, MA for a great string of events (more on that soon) and when my hosting librarian and I (more on her awesomeness soon) walked into a local coffee house/cafe for a bite to eat and a bolt of caffeine, I stopped on a dime of recognition. There was a stack of postcards at the register, which were from the artist whose work adorned the walls. It was Greg Orfanos, who is crazy talented. And some of the work hanging on the wall was also by his wife Judy, who has killer work as well.


Then if all of that wasn't enough, I also recently received a package in the mail. I recognized the name on the return address; it was Nate Walker. I could feel that there was a book in the package. And I instantly knew - Nate had gotten a book published. I hurriedly opened the envelope and sure enough - there was a book inside with Nate's name splashed across the cover! How cool is that?Floaty Feet is available through its website - floatyfeet.com or through the many events that Nate and the author have lined up.

I love seeing where former students have taken their work. I look forward to seeing more of it in the world around me in the months and years to come!

No comments: