Saturday, August 05, 2006

SCBWI, yo....

So I had my big fancy keynote speech this morning. It went really well. It was a pretty big audience in a really big room and believe it or not - I do get nervous just before I speak. I got to show Page by Page - and if there was ever an audience for that movie - this was it. It was great to hear people laughing and identifying with it. And the biggest props came from Caroline B. Cooney, (who has written over 80 books!) who told me that it reminded her of the joy that is found when seeing your work published.

Overall, a great time so far! Getting to hang out with my agent extraordinaire Rebecca Sherman,
my great friends from Random House - Beverly and Nancy, and other good pals Alvina Ling, Pat Mora, Jane Yolen, Mo Willems, Lisa Wheeler, Erin Eitter Kono, and Hope Vestragaard. I've also got to meet some really cool new people like Jacqueline Woodson, Jesse Joshua Watson, Nina Laden, Justina Chen Headley and the incomparable Tommy dePaola, among others.

A few more days - then it's back to Boston and back to painting for my new book! I have about 4 paintings done so far...

7 comments:

jaime said...

Jarrett is right in that his talk went exceedingly well this morning.

Congrats on keeping everyone awake (and even laughing - some uncontrollably) so early in the morning...and of course for that whole standing ovation thing.

Both talks were informative, hilarious, thoughtful and inspiring. Quite a tough thing to do.

jaime z.

Bonnie Branson said...

Any chances you will speak at the NYC conference next year? (kinda a ways off but thought I'd ask.)

Anonymous said...

I was in that audience and you were great....but I'm not sure if I left inspired or freakin' intimidated. Either way I loved it!

kelmurphy said...

Look at you! Hanging with all the/as a cool kid! Keep up the good work Jarrett. COngrats on Slug!

Lisa Yee said...

Ohmygod. I just checked out your website, and it is so TOTALLY cool!!!

Great meeting you at the conference.

Stephanie Roth Sisson said...

HI Jerrett,

I was in the audience for that big fancy keynote speech. I didn't just go very well! You rocked the to house! (Punk Farm rock style)

Steph

Anonymous said...

Hey Jarrett:)
I also saw your great speech and video presentation at the L.A SCBWI conference.....u totally deserved the standing ovation:):):):) for me it was one of the highlights of the conference.....:):):)oh and thanks for signing my book too.....all the best... Jennifer,(Australia)...:):):)