Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Muppets & Raisins

My friend Kevin and I were just down in Virginia visiting our friend John. While John was in class during the day, Kevin and I had said that we would take the train into DC and check out the Smithsonian Museum of American History. But when we woke up, we were lazy and dragged our feet about it. That was until Kevin looked on their website and saw that there was a Jim Henson exhibit. We were out the door within minutes.

I'm sure this goes without saying, but the Muppets were a huge part of my childhood. They were another obsession. The exhibit was cool. Definitely worth seeing if you are in the DC area. It was small, only a few glass cases, but it was worth it to see the Swedish Chef, a few members of the band and the original Kermit, along with the cast of Sam and Friends.










A few days after getting back to Boston, my friend Gina reminded me that we still hadn't seen the Will Vinton exhibit at the New England Institute of Art. We went to that last night. Not as many California Raisins as I had hoped and the Noid was nowhere to be found, but impressive just the same. They had a video loop of Vinton's work and I loved seeing the old California Raisins commercials.

2 comments:

Bonnie Branson said...

I love the Vinton christmas special with the singing camels. That used to give me goose bumps because it was so cool looking.

Matt Phelan said...

have you seen this book of jim henson's sketches? it's brilliant!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0810991845/sr=1-1/qid=1153399929/ref=sr_1_1/104-5324247-7975909?ie=UTF8&s=books