Monday, July 10, 2006

I am a child of the 80's

And if nothing proves it, this will. It's my official membership to the Smurf Fun Club. I was obsessed with the little blue guys, watched the show, had all the toys and even stacked up three apples to imagine just how tall they would be in reality. I saw "Smurfs on Ice" and even had a Smurf club house in the backyard. (If I can find a picture of it at my parents' house I'll post it sometime - it really was amazing.) I also saw "Snorks on Ice", but it just didn't compare.


In 2000, I traveled to Europe with my friend Kevin. We had a 6 hour layover in Brussels. What does one do with 6 hours in Belgium? We went straight to the Belgian Comic Strip Museum to see works by the one and only Peyo. They had an exhibit set up to look as though the Smurfs were an actual people who had since died off and the museum held their artifcats - Gargamel's potions, Hefty's weights, a mushroom house cut in half... It was outstanding.


I was also a member of the California Raisins fan club. I would get the newsletters. I have one around here somewhere... But in the meantime, I am very excited to check out the Will Vinton exhibit at the New England Art Institute!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've gotta believe I was the only kid on the planet with a picture of The Noid on my bedroom wall. It was hanging right there next to the California Raisin newspaper clippings.  Boy was I a nerd -- er, noid.  No... nerd.

Jarrett J. Krosoczka said...

Ha Ha! Amazing! I had a Noid bendable action figure....and a Tang mouth guy action figure, too....

Anonymous said...

Hey Jarrett, we just got FAST internet, and so I have been checking out allll the websites I could never view, like yours! Next time your stuck in Brussels, let us know- there is also an amazingly weird toy museum worth hunting down, amongst other things. And if you didn't get waffles on the street, you haven't lived! But really- Smurfs? I never would have guessed- I had you pegged as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles type!