Thursday, October 11, 2018

Same Message, New Technology.

I’ve been visiting schools with my books since 2001. From the very beginning, I talked about my childhood dreams, I shared how I persisted despite all of the book rejections, and I broke down my creative process. All of this illustrated with images of childhood artwork and behind-the-scenes sketches.
In those early years, I used actual slides in a slide carousel. I so remember having to put that thing in the overhead compartment when flying! Then I switched over to using iDVD to create slideshows on DVDs that I would play off of a portable DVD player. (Each image was its own track, so they’d be advanced with a remote control.) Then came Keynote, primarily used on an iPad. I just made the switch over to PowerPoint using a Surface Go. (Though I remain an Apple geek through and through...) I refreshed the scans for old artwork, upgraded the transitions (look at these page turns!), and will use the device to draw on when my audiences are too big for your standard chart paper.
I am ready for the 2018-2019 school year!

Oh—and I also now have a presentation on memoir for middle and high school students.


No comments: