Wednesday, November 02, 2011

A.P.P.L.E. program in Henderson, NV


ATTENTION AUTHORS! Await for your invitation to Henderson, NV's A.P.P.L.E. (All People Promoting Literacy Efforts) partnership's annual Celebration of Reading and accept immediately! What a wonderful program and I am honored to have been a part of it. It has everything. Schools need to win the author visits by accruing reading hours in the previous school year. Every school I visited, the kids were pumped. At an event at the public library, teens put on a Punk Farm play. Art classes entered paintings in a contest (winning entries get displayed at city hall). I even had the opportunity to visit art students at a local high school and junior high kids in an after school program. And Mayor Hafen presented me with the key to the city.

Not to mention that the local media gets behind this reading initiative in a big way. There were articles in Henderson Press and Las Vegas Review Journal. The local PBS station covered the events here. And the local Fox affiliate also stopped by.




Here are a few pictures from the festivities:


My welcome sign needed a slight adjustment.

1st prize in art contest

2nd prize in art contest


My characters aligned the walls, welcoming me to school



Teens perform as Punk Farm at the public library!


Now it takes a lot to embarrass me. But I was told I turned thirty shades of red when the Mayor of Henderson, in front of the entire City Council and all those gathered, brought up Fuse #8's Hot Men of Children's Literature. Yes, a half a decade later and when he looked me up on Google, he found this.







Thank you to Evelyn Walkowicz and all of the hardworking people of Henderson who made this trip a reality!


No comments: