Tuesday, April 27, 2010

LA Times Book Fest recap

A few weeks back, I had the honor of reading at the LA Times Festival of Books. A week before the Fest, Lisa Yee emailed me this picture from the paper.


Hope my mug didn't prevent people from attending! Perhaps it kept Lisa Yee from attending, she was out of town. While we missed seeing the Queen of LA Kids Lit, it did provide for an opportunity for someone to mishear "Lisa Yee" for "Eazy E".

We had a great time, as always, with our friends at Target. SCBWI goddess Lin Oliver and her writing partner, Henry Winkler, were taking the stage after me, so we had a chance to chum it up backstage.

It was a sunny day and there was an incredible crowd!



Afterwards, I signed books in a booth that would apparently soon be occupied by the Wayans brothers.


And after that, G and I strolled the Festival with YA Lit President, David Levithan. He was meeting John Green at the YA Stage. So off we went, running into other authors as made our way to the other end of the Festival.


It was so very Wizard of Oz.


There was Bob Bob Boyle, creator of Nick Jr's Wow! Wow! Wubbzy and author of the awesome new book, Hugo and the Really, Really, Really Long Strong.



There was Tom Warburton, creator of Cartoon Network's Codename: Kids Next Door and the super-cool new book 1000 Times No. Tom has been stalking me for some time now, so it was nice to finally meet in person! (Just kidding, Tom. I have been stalking you. Now can we lift that restraining order?)


(As you can see, Mr. Warburton brings out the best in me.)

And finally, there was John Green.



And because G and I are knee deep in board books with our almost 1 1/2 year old, we can't help but look at John and David's book and say aloud:

Will Grayson, Will Grayson, what do you see?
I see David Levithan strolling by me.

David Levithan, David Levithan, what do you see?
I see John Green videotaping alongside me.

Of course, there was cotton candy and churros, as documented by Bob's remarkablly awesome, remarkably funny wife, Terri.

1 comment:

storyqueen said...

The Will Grayson, Will Grayson bit had me laughing out loud!! My kids read that Brown Bear book about a thousand times!

Would have love to have seen all of the great authors there.

Shelley