Monday, February 16, 2009

Colorado

I had a great few days out in Colorado the other week at the CCIRA conference (Colorado Council International Reading Association.) As the plane landed in Denver, I saw the magestic rocky mountains and one single tear slid down my cheek. Not for their beauty, but because I knew thet I wouldn't be riding them this year. When the invite to attend this conference first came a few years back, I thought "Denver! I'll spend another week out in Breckenridge! I'll hit the slopes!" Of course when you have a 2 month old at home, you don't dare do that. How quickly life changes.

At the conference, I got to hang out with friend and neighbor Jane Yolen (we need to go to the other side of the country to find the time!) who gave a fantastic keynote luncheon speech. And to my surprise, there was a whole slew of author buddies there, including Jon Mr. Ambassador Scieszka and Mr. Jack Gantos. Another author pal in attendance, who I've never had the pleasure of meeting in person before, was Lauriue Keller. Hello?! ARNIE THE DOUGHNUT
And I got to make a new author friend in Kate Mcmullan (author of I Stink! and I'm Dirty!), whose books I have been a fan of for some time now.
And of course, I can't forget the quick, drive-by hello by Lauren Myracle (of TTYL fame.)


Both of my break out sessions went very well. I loved all of the teachers who I had the chance to speak with, both in a group setting and one-on-one!

Thank you to everyone at CCIRA for showing me a great time and for having me! Of course, I also need to thank Kyle (who blogs over at The Boy Reader) who made sure that I didn't get lost. Well, at least not entirely lost.



Finally, I leave you with two things.

First, this oxygen bar that greets you in the hotel lobby. (I didn't try it, it freaked me out!)


And second, this video of 600 plus teachers singing "Happy Birthday" to Jane Yolen.


1 comment:

K. M. Walton said...

Sounds like a great experience you had - especially the 600 singing teachers. I teach 6th grade in PA, so I'm sorta partial to the 600 singing teachers part of your experience :)